Welcome to The Pirate Pharmacist Blog

A blog concerning pharmacokinetics and rum.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Employee Orientation

Yes, it's that wonderful time of the rotation where I get to go to new hire orientation for two days. Got to sit through the standard sexual harrasement talk; apparently it's not OK to grope your fellow employees.
Who knew?

Other than that, my first project is to present a report on Alaskan Native culture this Friday. I chose the traditional seal hunt as my topic. No, this isn't clubbing baby seals or anything. The clubbing is done by the Canadians and Japanese. The actual hunt, which is for subsistence, is done with very strict cultural and spiritual significance. Subsistence hunting, for those who don't know, is hunting for the meat of the animal. There aren't many Walmarts in the native fishing villages after all, and they must hunt to survive. The primary diet is dried fish, supplemented with berries, moose and caribou. I'll post my little report later on, because it's pretty interesting.

I'm trying to get internet hooked up in the little house I'm staying in so that I can upload some pictures and be available to check my email more than once a day, so hopefully that will happen in the next few days. Also, today I got ahold of some taxi vouchers so I might take a little trip this evening down the the Bingo parlor (the epitome of excitement in this area).

Scotch reserves are holding steady.

I've also put my name in the hat to volunteer for the big dog-sledding race coming up next week. You can find some info on it here: http://www.k300.org/core/

3 comments:

  1. dude.... why is your name "currently in"?
    that's..... not right

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, do you have a shipping address for kallisti kare packages?? you could post it to kallisti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The working address I have is my preceptor's, because mail is not delivered in Bethel and everyone has a P.O. Box instead. Again, this is my preceptor's address so keep the wild stuff inside the box! I'll be here until the end of January. Thanks everyone!

    Erik Peterson
    c/o Greg Ponsness
    P.O. Box 2512
    Bethel, AK 99559

    ReplyDelete