Welcome to The Pirate Pharmacist Blog

A blog concerning pharmacokinetics and rum.

Friday, January 9, 2009

In Soviet Russia, Pizza Eats You!

I found a wireless signal in a Russian pizza restaurant, and so I'm hunkering down here trying to do some work for my rotation. There's a group of 4 guys sitting at the booth next to me speaking in Russian, and I just keep thinking of the line from Simpsons or Family Guy "In Soviet Russia, car drives you!". Apparently, the democratic freedom granted by the fall of the Soviet Union 20 years ago has given Russian citizens to move to Bethel and bake calzones. Hooray democracy?

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the local museum and cultural center, and Sunday I'm going to the local Unitarian church service. Yes, there is one here, although it's not listed online with the main organization website or in the yellow pages. Apparently they meet every Sunday in an honest-to-god log cabin in the middle of a park. Sounds a little too Ralph Waldo Emerson for me, but it could be interesting. Of course, it could be full of left-wing Unitarian revolutionaries that are so vegan they only lick the lichen off of rocks for subsistence. Either way, I'm taking pictures.

I uploaded some more pictures of the hospital and my housing and can be found at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratepharmd/


The sled-dog race is next weekend, and I'm volunteering for parts of it, so I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures. The cold snap should end by Sunday, and bring the ambient temperature back to zero degrees (it's currently -22 F).

I miss everybody and will try to get more pictures up when I can.

4 comments:

  1. Correction: The pizza place is run by Albanians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE hurry up and post photos from the sled race and other stuff. How was the UU meeting? were they passing out lichen snacks or did you have to bring your own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I LOL'd at your photos. That's the hospital?! I've seen bigger portable classrooms at some of the schools here in charlotte. The laundry shanty was another favorite.

    ReplyDelete